Administrator, Tom McBride
512 Water Street
Barboursville, WV 25504
Phone: (304) 736-1027
Fax: (304) 736-1093
The West Virginia Veterans Home is a facility reserved specifically for veterans in need of a convenient and comfortable home. It is designed for individuals who are ambulatory and independent in all activities of daily living. It can house 150 veterans at full capacity and is operated by a staff of approximately 50 employees.
The West Virginia Veterans Home is located in the Village of Barboursville, fifteen miles from downtown Huntington. This home for West Virginia veterans was authorized in 1975 and became a reality in 1981.
Basic eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Must have been discharged from active duty with an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions.
- Must be ambulatory and independent in all activities of daily living. The Veterans Home will accept veterans who suffer from disabilities that prevent gainful employment as long as they do not require skilled nursing care or hospitalization.
- Must have served on active duty or performed active service in a reserve component of the armed forces for a period of at least 12 consecutive months (unless medically discharged for a service connected injury prior to 12 months). If enlisted since September 7, 1980, must have served a minimum of 24 consecutive months on active duty or the full period for which you were called to active duty (unless medically discharged for a service connected injury prior to 24 months).
- Must be eligible for care at federal VA Medical Centers. Income must not exceed those specified by federal VA guidelines
- Due to the health and welfare of residents of the Barboursville Veterans Home, there are certain pre-admission medical tests which must be completed prior to being admitted.
General information about the home:
The home is not a treatment facility and cannot accommodate veterans in need of daily care or skilled assistance. The home provides a nursing department and a contact physician. All medical treatment is provided by the VA Medical Center located in Huntington. Transportation is provided to the medical center three times daily.
Rooms available for occupancy accommodate two, three or four persons. Every effort is made to ensure compatibility between occupants. Female veterans are most welcome and special lodging accommodations are provided as they become available.
A person’s income is not a factor in gaining admission, although residents are required to contribute one-half of his or her monthly income as their maintenance contribution. The home is very liberal in its rules and regulations. Residents may leave on a pass for up to three days by simply signing a daily log sheet. All residents are authorized up to 30 days of furlough per year. Visitation to the home is encouraged and visitors may enjoy a meal with the residents at a nominal fee.
Emphasis is placed on maintaining a warm, attractive and comfortable “home” for the West Virginia veteran who is in need of a place to live. We, the residents and staff, wish to extend an invitation to each of you to visit our facility. You will be proud, as we are, that such a home exists.
Assistance with applications for residency can be obtained through any of the West Virginia Department of Veterans Assistance Field Offices or you may contact the Veterans Home directly.